Saturday, October 1, 2011

Genevieve's Birth Story

One year ago today, was your typical Friday. Ashleigh was feeling under the weather, so she stayed home from school (all week) and I was working. I had a big project that I was tracking through the day and it had to be done by the end of the day. I had to go to the bank to make a deposit, so I figured I'd drive over at lunch and while we were out I would grab lunch for the kids.

I sent out latest report, grabbed the check and keys, and got everyone loaded into the car. When I got to the first red light, I had a contraction. Nothing major, but by the time I had reached the bank, I thought I had actually had alot of contractions. I wasn't really paying attention since I was driving but figured once I got home, I'd time them to see if they continued.

My manager called after I got home to check on the projects status and after filling her in, I told her that I was having some contractions. She freaked and said I couldn't have the baby until the project was finished. We laughed but Genevieve wasn't due for another month, so I told her not to worry about it. I called Paul and he had me time the contractions...they were coming every 5 minutes but not really painful. He works an hour away so he kept asking if he should come home but I didn't want him leaving for a false alarm.

Around 2:30 I finished the project tracking and sent off my final report. By 3:30 my contractions were coming every 3 minutes. Paul's boss finally made him leave and he came home. The kids ate dinner and our neighbor, Jenny, walked around the neighborhood with me. Since the contractions weren't letting up, I called the doctor and they asked me to come in around 8:30. I got a bath and did my hair and make-up. Jenny came over to watch the kids for us and we headed to the hospital.

When we get to the hospital, they tell me I'm 2cm but since my doctor didn't check my progress earlier in the week she can't determine if I am progressing or not. The registration lady comes in and seems upset because they don't have my registration paperwork (I mailed it in when I was 28 weeks since they don't have online registration). She asks a million questions( one of them being "do you feel safe at home?" which was right in front of Paul, I almost said no just for giggles) and finally gives me my bracelets. Paul and I walked around the hospital and when they checked me again I was at 2.5cm. Then 3cm an hour later. I told the nurse that my doctor has broken my water with all 3 of my other children and she tells me that won't happen this time since I am only 36 weeks.

I'm admitted to L&D and my contractions are coming every 2 minutes. Paul fell asleep in the chair and I am so uncomfortable that I can't sleep at all. The nurse finally comes back in at 4AM and asks if I've been able to sleep and when I tell her no, she agrees that I've been having a ton of powerful contractions. I am still only at 4.5cm so she offered me some meds (awesome meds) and I fell asleep almost immediately.

When she comes back in around 6AM, I have to go to the bathroom. The nurse helps me unhook everything and I make my way over to the bathroom. As I am standing up in the bathroom, I notice I am not feeling so good. I start to sit down and I pass out. Next thing I know, the nurse is shoving an ammonia stick in my face. OMG... definitely the worst smell ever. I faint alot and have never had anyone use one of those on me.

She tells me that the Dr will be in at 8 and he's probably just going to send me home. Meanwhile, my mom is waiting to hear from us to see what's going to happen. I didn't want her driving 8 hours if the baby wasn't coming that day and I couldn't get an answer from anyone. Plus my neighbor was still at our house watching the kids. While Paul and I are discussing our options, the doctor comes in, says we're going to get the show on the road, and breaks my water.That moment I knew....I LOVE HIM! My mom starts driving down and they offer me an epidural. Since I am not one for pain or surprises, I am totally all for it.

Once they broke my water, things really picked up. As soon as I got my epidural though, things slowed back down but I was able to get some rest. Right around 11:30, the nurse said it was time. She explained how she wanted me to push and prepared me for a practice push. Practice pushing seemed odd since I had already done this three times but whatever.  As I was getting ready to push, she immediately told me to stop. She said that the baby was right there and that we needed to wait for the doctor. The doctor arrived and the Special Care team for preemies came into the room. The doctor told me to push and with that one push, our beautiful daughter Genevieve was born at 12:04 PM on Oct 2nd.

As soon as the Special Care team heard her cries, they knew she was fine and left. She weighed 6lbs 13oz and was 19 inches long. Perfectly healthy! Grandma Ginny got to the hospital around 3:30 and Jenny brought Ash,Coop and Addy to meet Jenna.

No comments:

Post a Comment