Thursday, May 19, 2011

Essure Procedure

We always knew we wanted 4 children. After our 3rd, we took a little breather, but decided last year to try for another one. So after successfully conceiving our 4th and final child, a big decision was upon us. How were we going to avoid any surprises? I hate birth control pills. Actually, I hate anything that changes my hormone levels. Plus, I never and I mean never, remember to take the pill. I barely eat or drink throughout the day, how am I going to remember to take some tiny pill? I always figured Paul would get a vasectomy, but after discussing my options with the doctor, we found out about a new procedure.

Essure. Basically, it's like going in for a regular check-up, the doctor places coils into your fallopian tubes, scar tissues grows around the coils blocking your tubes, and then you go in for a dye test to makes sure your tubes are completely closed off.

A few weeks before my procedure, the doctor gave me a prescription for a bunch of pills. Xanax, a uterine relaxer, something for nausea, and motrin. I think that's it but I can't remember now. I was to take all of the pills an hour before the procedure which was scheduled for December 6th, 2010.

On December 6th, I went in for my procedure. I admit I was a little nervous and had second thoughts, but in reality our 4 kids have completed this family and I know that I no longer want to actually go through pregnancy again. We dropped the kids off at the daycare and went to the doctor's office. I remember bits and pieces, the nurse telling me Paul could come back after the procedure, them telling me I may feel some burning/discomfort, the screen showing them placing the coils, Paul coming into the room, and the nurse helping me to the bathroom. The next thing I remember, is walking in the house, dropping my purse on the steps, and collapsing on the bed. I vaguely remember Paul asking me if I wanted any medicine but I wasn't in pain so I went back to sleep.

I woke up at 4pm and came down stairs. I told Paul how hungry I was since I hadn't eaten all day and he looked at me like I was ill. He told me he had taken me to IHOP for breakfast after we left the doctor. He said he wanted to take me through the McDonald's drive-thru just to get something quick but I was adamant (actually kind of forceful) about going to IHOP. He said I acted completed normal but I was a little slow and I complained about not being able to text words correctly. To this day I still don't remember this IHOP experience LOL

I was suppose to get the HSG test, the dye test, done after 3 months. It is now May 19th and I just had it done. It was a very simple process and I was able to watch on the screen as the dye entered my system. According to the doctor, it looks like everything went as planned and I will not be able to get pregnant ever again. If for some reason I do, it will be a miracle that was meant to happen! Now Paul can breath a sigh of relief that he doesn't have to get the vasectomy and I will just have to get all my baby fixes from my friends still having children!

No comments:

Post a Comment